Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Field Trips

Did you know people from the north say the word "both" weird?  Apparently we put an "L" in the word, making it "bolth".  I never realized that was one of the words I said weird until my 8th graders pointed it out.

"Say 'both' again," they said.
"Bolth."
(laughter)  "Say it again."
"What?  Bolth!  What's wrong with it?"
"You're saying it all weird!  You're saying 'bolth'!" (laughter and multiple repetitions of "bolth, bolth, bolth")
My response: "Shut up, you 'bolth' can bite me."  Real mature, I know.  But screw you, stupid 8th grade bullies!

Field Trip #1: Zach DePue

Last Monday I took my bright little bullies on a field trip.  We walked across the parking lot to the high school auditorium and watched Zach DePue, concert master of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, conduct a master class with the high school orchestra.  The running time of this field trip was 1 hour and 45 minutes, and for that I had to get the signatures of my principal and the superintendent, permission slips signed by every student's parent, 7 chaperons, and the OK via e-mail by each participating student's first block teacher.  I accomplished this in a week.  The morning of the field trip went by super smoothly.  There was minimal drama save for one chaperon who arrived at the high school twenty minutes late with two students and her crying three year old son in tow demanding entry to the high school by yelling at the secretary.  Zach DePue was really great with the kids.  He did a short question/answer session after the master class and he was really personable and easy-going.  My kids were perfect little angels: no stupid questions, no talking during the performance, no disrespectful behavior, no stupid questions...  Then at the end (they were so freakin' cute!) we took a group picture with him and they all wanted his autograph.  Some of them had him sign their lanyard or school ID (so freakin' cute!).  The walk to and from the high school went perfectly: the weather was great, no one tried to sneak off by themselves, and I started and ended with the same number of students!  Field trips are hard to come by nowadays what with budget cuts and and unwillingness of administrators and other teachers to allow students time out of academic classes.  So although a simple walk across the parking lot may seem like not a big deal, it really was an extraordinary event.  And I'll have you know, this parking lot is no ordinary parking lot- it was a good ten minute walk.  Our campus is huge!

Field Trip #2: All Region Orchestra

Saturday, November 10th:  All Region Orchestra Festival.  Six of my students were invited.  Five attended.

"Tommy, this is Mrs. Martin.  Where are you?"
"I'm sick.  I can't move my arm."
(pause) "Which one is it?  You're sick or you can't move your arm?"
"My dad just told me to go back to bed."
"Don't you think you should have called someone?  Let me know that you're not going to show up?"
"I didn't know if anyone would be up, so..."
"Didn't know if anyone would be up?!  You know what time you were supposed to be here!  Where did you think the rest of us were?  Pressing the snooze?"
(Silence)
"OK, Tommy.  You will have some explaining to do on Monday.  Goodbye."

Rewind.

Friday, November 2nd: First rehearsal
  • Maxene (Violin I) has her music, has probably looked through it, but has not practiced it.
  • Dorothy (Violin II) has her music, has looked through it, has practice some of it.
  • Nicole (Viola) has her music, has several markings in each piece, has thoroughly practiced each piece.
  • Stacia (Cello) does not have her music, has not looked at it or practice it.
  • Kat (Bass) not in attendance
  • Tommy (Viola) not in attendance
  • Tiara (Viola, alternate) attended and watched music while we rehearsed.
We read through two of the four pieces.  It was a struggle, but by the end they all knew what it was supposed to sound like and vowed they would practice over the weekend.

Monday, November 5th: Second rehearsal (also same day as the morning Zach DePue field trip)
  • Maxene (Violin I) has her music, has practice and improved
  • Dorothy (Violin II) has her music, has practiced and improved
  • Nicole (Viola) has her music, has practiced even more and is pretty solid on each piece
  • Stacia (Cello) has three out of four pieces, has practiced a little, is pretty shaky
  • Kat (Bass) got her music the day before, may have looked at it, probably not
  • Tommy (Viola) not in attendance
We read through the other two pieces.  It was a struggle, but by the end they all knew what each piece was supposed to sound like and vowed they would practice that night before tomorrow's rehearsal.

Tuesday, November 6th: Third rehearsal- off campus at the other middle school combined with the other All Region kids
  • Maxene (Violin I) knows her part
  • Dorothy (Violin II) not in attendance- has to babysit her little sister while mom and dad work
  • Nicole (Viola) really knows her part
  • Stacia (Cello) kind of knows her part but lacks confidence and really needs to practice more
  • Kat (Bass) kind of knows her part but is more concerned about flirting with the other bass player from the other school
  • Tommy (Viola) not in attendance
The other school had two Violin I's, a Violin II, and a flirty Bass player.  At one point in the rehearsal I believe I said to him, "Stop saying weird things.  I'm going to put a box over your head."  We were able to run through all of the pieces and they were starting to sound intelligible.  Now they're starting to get excited...

Friday, November 9th: Fourth and last rehearsal.
  • Maxene (Violin I) knows her part and is playing it well
  • Dorothy (Violin II) knows her part and is playing it well
  • Nicole (Viola) really knows her part and is playing like a rock start.  too bad she didn't choose violin.
  • Stacia (Cello) kicked it into high gear since last rehearsal and knows her part well.
  • Kat (Bass) knows her part and is playing it well
  • Tommy (Viola) not in attendance
  • Tiara (Viola, alternate) rehearses with us in hopes that Tommy will say he's not coming Saturday so she can come.  Knows the music well enough and will probably stay up all night to learn it if that meant she could come to the festival.
I call Tommy's dad at the beginning of the rehearsal.  I never said that students had to attend rehearsals in order to go to All Region, but I had been warning Tommy all week that he had better know his part before Saturday.  After calling three different numbers, I finally get a hold of Tommy's dad.

"Hello?"
"Hi!  This is Libby Martin from Chapel Hill, Tommy's orchestra teacher.  With whom am I speaking?"
"This is Jason."
"Hi, Jason.  I was just calling to see if Tommy was still planning on attending the All Region Orchestra festival tomorrow morning.  He had said he was coming to our after school rehearsal today but he isn't here so I just wanted to see if he had a ride tomorrow or if he was canceling or what..."
"Hold on.  Let me go get Tommy." (shuffling, silence)
"Hello?"
"Tommy?"
"Yeah."
"This is Mrs. Martin.  Where are you?"
"My dad couldn't drive me.  But I'm coming tomorrow.  He said he could take me.  I'm coming."
"Are you sure?  Do you even know the music?"
"Yeah, yeah.  I've practiced.  My dad is driving me, I'll be there."
"OK, do you have directions?  Do you know what time to be there?"
"We can look them up.  Where is it?  And it's, like, in the morning, right?"
"Yes.  It is at the Junior High School and you need to be there by 8:15.  You are sure you are going to be able to get there?"
"Yeah, yeah!  I'll be there, I promise."
"Well, OK then. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Yeah, OK.  Bye."

Saturday, November 10th: All Region Orchestra Festival:
  • Maxene (Violin I) Arrives at 8:20 with her mom who stays all day, reading a book in the car.  She ends up sitting somewhere in the middle of the section
  • Dorothy (Violin II) Arrives at 9:05, late because her dad got lost.  He drops her off then comes back with her grandma and little brothers for the concert.  She ends up sitting somewhere in the middle of the section
  • Nicole (Viola) Arrives at 7:45 with her mom.  Later her dad older sister, and twin sister arrive for the concert.  She sits first chair.
  • Stacia (Cello) Arrives at 8:30.  Is dropped off.  Never saw her parents but I assume they picked her up... She sits second chair.
  • Kat (Bass) Shows up at 8:45.  Is dropped off.  Her mom and dad (divorced) and their separate families show up for the concert.  The basses weren't ranked, but she stood next to the boy from Rehearsal #3.
  • Tommy (Viola) not in attendance.
The concert was good.  The girls had a great time.  I got them pizza for lunch.  I taught the cello sectional- the kids were way too serious about it.  Dudes, chill.  You're in what, 7th grade?  Smile, why don't you!  I just made a fart joke.  During the long stretch of the day, me and Kristen, the other middle school's orchestra teacher, went to the outlet malls.  When we came back I passed out band-aids to all the poor babies whose widdle baby fingers were all soft and blistered.  It was a great experience for all, including me.

What did I say to Tommy on Monday?  Well, there were a lot of scenarios that I played out in my head, most of which included the words, "irresponsible, unreliable, unfair, apology, communication," and " rue the day."  But I don't know enough about what was going on at home.  I was angry, don't get me wrong!  And I will never recommend Tommy for another honor's position again, nor will I allow him to play with any groups that require a dependable violist.  The girls chewed him out in front of everyone.  They said everything I wanted to say and more and that was probably for the best.  All I said was, "You owe me $25.00."

I have great students.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  And bolth these field trips were a success because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment